You must be wondering why lemon water is all the rage these days. Well, it’s because of the numerous health benefits of lemon you probably have been overlooking all your life. This citrus fruit, native to South Asia, is widely used and can be easily consumed in fun and creative ways through desserts, savory dishes, and even beverages.
Looking at the nutrition value of lemon, you can identify a few health benefits on your own. You can’t? Well, we’ve got you covered:
If life throws you a lemon – make lemonade.Joan Collins
Lemon is immunity Booster!
Vitamin C, present in lemons, help improve immunity through fighting against free radicals. It encourages the formation of white blood cells- leukocytes which keep your body protected from foreign substances and diseases. Thus, lemon plays a significant role in protecting your cells against damage.
By the way, as Oscar Wilde said, grapefruit is just a lemon that saw an opportunity and took advantage of it. Therefore, you can have a look at the grapefruit benefits to further assist your immune system.
Eat a Lemon for a Stronger Heart:
According to research, consuming fruits and vegetables rich in vitamin C lowers heart disease and stroke risk. Luckily, one lemon carries around 31 mg of vitamin C, which is 51% of the reference daily intake (RDI). Being a super antioxidant, Vitamin C in lemon helps reduce the risk of heart diseases and strokes.
Furthermore, folic acid, found in lemons, helps prevent strokes and reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases by lowering homocysteine levels.
Moreover, plant compounds- Hesperidin and Diosmin- have proven to reduce cholesterol levels on consumption.
Further organic healthinizers that sensationally improve the health of your heart, are:
- Apples – good for your heart
- Peaches and Nectarines – positive impact on your heart health
- Mango is important for a healthy heart
- Grapes improve the health of your heart
- Bananas support the health of your heart
Helps in Weight Loss:
Lemon water is widely associated with weight loss. It helps improve hydration, metabolism and makes you feel full. As a result, all this leads to a reduction in weight gain.
In addition, the acid in lemons helps break down your food faster. The presence of Polyphenols also helps in weight management.
Prevents Kidney Stones:
The citric acid present in lemons helps break down small stones. Moreover, it lowers the acidity of urine and thus, reduces the risk of kidney stones formation. Citrate, which is a component of the acid, is primarily what helps reduce the kidney stones.
Improves Digestive Health:
Lemons are filled with carbs and fibers. The primary soluble fiber- Pectin, helps improve gut health and shows digestion sugars and starches. It also makes the breakdown of food more efficient.
Other organic healthinizers that you can add to your diet to improve your digestive health, are:
- Pineapple helps in digestion
- Watermelon improves digestion
- Peaches and Nectarines contribute to smoothly running digestion
- Apples prebiotic effect
- Mango supports digestive health
- Bananas healthinize your digestive system
- Grapefruit assists your digestion
Say Hello to Healthier Skin!
Lemons help you load up on Vitamin C, which is excellent for the skin. It reduces wrinkles, skin damage, and premature aging. As it is an antioxidant, it helps reduce dark spots and makes the skin brighter and clearer! Moreover, the high levels of pH help fight oily skin.
Additional organic healthinizers that improve the health of your skin, are:
- Watermelon – good for skin and hair
- Honey – supports good and healthy skin
- Peaches and nectarines protect your skin
- Bananas for instant glowing skin
- Cherries – improve the health of your skin
- Mango – the natural skin glow maker
Equally important, Lemon nutrition facts are amazing as it is an excellent source for Vitamin C & B6, Folate, Iron, Potassium, Sodium and Magnesium; and all that in such low calories.
So, how about benefitting from the amazing lemon health benefits?
What is the best time to consume lemons to obtain its health advantages?
In general lemons, lemon juice, lemon water, etc. can be consumed at any time of the day. However, there are several recommendations that you should be aware of in order to prevent possible lemon side effects.
- First Lemon Recommendation: Especially in the morning, do not eat lemon or drink pure lemon juice on an empty stomach. Better ensure that you first drink a cup of tea or a glass of water. Of course, you can pimp your first cup of tea or glass of water with a lemon slice or a splash of lemon juice.
- Second Lemon Recommendation: Do not eat pure lemon or drink pure lemon juice before going to sleep, because lemon has an awake effect.
Side Effects of Lemon
Lemons are causing higher levels of pH. Therefore, eating lemons or drinking raw lemon juice can cause several undesired side effects for your body health:
- Side effect 1: Brushing your teeth after eating a lemon or drinking raw lemon juice can demage the tooth enamel.
- Solution: After cosuming a lemon, do not brush your teeth for at least 30 minutes. In this timeframe the level of pH in your mouth will get back to normal.
- Side effect 2: If you have stomach issues, such as gastrities or ulcer, eating a raw lemon or drinking pure lemon juice can have negative impact.
- Solution: Do not consume lemon or lemon juice in its pure form. Better use it as a suplement of vinegar or dissolve it in tea or water.
Health Benefits of Lemon – The Final Words
We know it is a lot to take in, but after taking your time and reading these lemon benefits, we are sure you are as convinced as we are to add an extra tablespoon of lemon juice in salads next time. Not only that, always try utilizing the whole lemon- the fibers, peel, and everything in between to fully capitalize on the benefits of lemon.
Enjoy the health benefits of consuming lemon every day!Organic Healthinizer Team